Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Henry- 1 yr.

Henry is already 1 year old (march 22) and is like the energizer bunny.



He weighs a whopping 22 lbs and is 31 inches long. He is in the 50th percentile for everything. He has 4 teeth thus far and I have yet to feel anymore coming in at this time.



He has a temper and it generally comes out when he wants something that he is not supposed to have, when we take something away he is already messing with that is not a toy, when we interrupt him playing to change his diaper, when we take away his pacifier, when he has to be buckled in the car, and when we don't pick him up into our arms immediately when we arrive at school to take him home.... The list goes on.



Some days I feel like all I ever say to the child is, "no", or "please stop", or "that's right, life is tough being a baby, cry it out". Blah, blah, blah. The kid has a one track mind for getting into trouble.



He walks and NEVER crawls anymore. He is beginning to run and on Sunday tried out his new skill on the sidewalk only to biff it and cut his lip open. The best part was school pictures were today - of course!



He is totally off the bottle but has become majorly attached to his pacifier. The Dr. didn't seem to be worried so neither am I.



His favorite food is blueberries, hands down. He also likes cheese, chicken (only with bbq sauce on it) and applesauce. He very much dislikes anything with pasta and most bread/toast foods. I wish I had control with the carbs myself! He loves water and tolerates whole milk.



Henry can sign the words book, please, more, no, all done, and bye. He says mama, dada, ball, and uh-oh.



He points at everything and grunts when he points. He is always pointing!



He still takes two naps daily, one at 9:30 and one at 2:30. Naps go smoothly at home but struggle at daycare. Henry sleeps 11 hours a night generally, bedtime at 7:00 and up at 6:00.



Putting toys into containers, his soft baseball bat and his fridge farm are his favorite toys currently. He LOVES stuffed animals and soft blankets and snuggles with them a lot!



Stranger anxiety is starting to set in but generally does not last more than a few minutes. Separation anxiety is starting when we drop him off at school - maybe that is why he freaks if we don't immediately take him into our arms when we pick him up.



He plays in the older kids room at school because of his mobility. It allows him to run around more and experience more than just the baby room. He will move rooms for sure by August - they do it by school year.



We are in swim class right now. He is more interested in sticking him tongue in the water than blowing bubbles - YUCK! He is really good at going under water and likes to float on his back.



The child never sits still. He hardly has time to sit on my lap and look at a book. He prefers to explore ALL of his surroundings. No corner goes uninspected in this house.



Henry loves to give hugs and has learned how to blow kisses this week.



He likes the park but would rather climb on the equipment than swing. I just wish they made playground equipment big enough for parents to climb on after their child!



Every morning at the same time, he has a dirty diaper... I think that is a dude thing to be that regular!



He has discovered his boy parts and ensures they are there whenever his diaper is not on - oh the joy. I don't think girls do this. Based on my experience with his father, I am pretty sure this is something that he will continue to do for many many years.



Lastly, I think he gets cuter and more lovable each and everyday.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

omg almost everything you mentioned about H. getting into everything is BAYLEN to the T!!!! sheesh I was just telling Dj the other day that I feel like all we ever tell him is NO b/c he is constantly doing something he should not be doing like getting into something or climbing on something endangering his little life. Now I totally get why those books "No David" came out...seriously...that is Baylen too. Must be a boy thing.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Sounds like things are normal and great at your house :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Sam... what a great summary of all things Henry!! Maybe Chris and I can come visit this summer if you're up for house guests. We'd love to spend more time with you!