Dear God, give me strength. My child is testing my patience lately. I am sure this is certain to be just the beginning and you are probably getting back at me for all the times I tested my parents patience but seriously, is it too much to ask for you to go easy on my on the weekends or at least during swim lessons?
Henry has decided that he does not want to be held while in the pool at swim lessons. This poses a problem because the boy cannot swim, not at all. He won't even back float anymore. His favorite activity is trying to run around the perimeter of the pool and licking the water, and yes, it is highly chlorinated and quite gross! We had to leave 20 minutes early because a huge fit ensued when I tried to have him do what the swim instructor was asking of him. I have gotten to point lately where I just don't fight it but I will also not tolerate it either. I just ignore the behavior, pick him up and move on my merry little way. He has been throwing tantrum after tantrum, after tantrum and my patience has worn so thin, I may need to be admitted to a loony bin!
Also, he doesn't want to eat anything but chicken, cheese, blueberries, cheerios, and graham crackers. Somebody tell me how to get him to eat other food items. I don't want him to think we cater to him but truly, he eats an hour and a half before we do because he likes to go to bed between 6:30 and 7 so I make things he will not fight us to eat. I keep introducing foods over and over but he still spits them out.
Is it possible to buy him a new attitude? He yells and screams and fights ALL THE TIME with us and I just don't know how much longer I can take it! I keep checking for new teeth but none are breaking through. He doesn't seem to have an ear infection either. what is with this kid? Ugh.
Alright, enough of my bitch fest, I am sure he is thinking the same thing about us and our lack of patience lately.
7 comments:
okay... so I am glad that I am not the only one :)
Katie has started this fun behavior too.... I think it's just the wonderful transition to toddlerhood
we will make it through...
It will get easier when he starts talking... right now there is a huge gap between what he comprehends and what he can express. Very frustrating for them and you but it does get easier! Hang in there.
agreed and it's totally the age. hang in there. i have two who throw tantrums. when they're both in the mood, and throwing themselves on the ground, crying at the same time, i nearly lose my mind. argh!
This too shall pass. At least that's what I keep reminding myself of. Olive's the queen of screeching right now. She pitches a fit when you don't give her exactly what she wants exactly when she wants it, and she expects that you will know exactly what that is. Just stand your ground and he'll soon come to realize that it's not appropriate behavior and he'll move on to other things that will test your patience! :)
Poor Sam. He sounds EXACTLY like Tyler. You might want to try out "1, 2, 3 Magic" or you might want to try the time outs. He is old enough for them now, just don't sit him in time out for more than 1 minute (it's based on his age).
You're doing the right thing by just picking him up and leaving. It's teaching him that he can't act that way and is serving as a bit of time out, especially if it's something he really likes (like swimming lessons).
I'm no help on the food front. My kid hates most everything. Do you give him a multi-vitamin? We started on gummy bear multi-vitamins around 1 when he started to protest food. We call it "Candy" so it's a special treat the he gets once a day. He loves it and yells at them every day "candy, candy."
Most of all, try to stay patient - and sane :) It will get better. He will go through spurts and then they will go away. I promise it doesn't stay this way forever.
PS - Did you see Curt had a baby Friday? Sidney Lynne.
Lydia does the same thing, although, we have not had too many tantrums yet. She used to eat anything and everything and now she's getting picky. I just try and give her what she'll eat. She used to be a really quick eater, but if I let her sit there for awhile, she'll eventually eat what we give her. The girl could live on cold cuts and fruit alone though.
I feel your pain lady, Ireland is the queen of the tantrums, and her favorite trick is stopping the tantrum long enough to follow you wherever you have gone to escape her and then immediately resuming it when she finds you, it's ridiculous. We've just started time outs, and she really refuses to stay there, but I make her and it does stop the behavior. Good luck.
Post a Comment