Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sam, not SAHM

Yesterday Henry was home with an ear infection and pink eye... although there was not pink in his eye, it was just goopy but that is what the Dr. said so we'll just go with it for now. Anyway, here I thought we would have a lazy day, just me and my son, snuggling on the couch, watching movies, and taking naps. None of this happened. He was cranky and feisty and just plain unbearable. I am sure this was due to the fact that he supposedly did not feel well.

It was then that it dawned on me, I am Sam and not meant to be a SAHM - Stay at home mom. Calling all SAHM's! I kiss the ground you walk on. I have always believed that it is by far the most difficult yet rewarding job a person can take on... but I would not be good at it. When I was on maternity leave, it wasn't until week 10 of 12 that I finally got into the groove of being home with an infant and I definitely don't have the patience for a child who is 18 months and has the determination of a bull! By lunch I had a conversation on the phone with my husband that went something like this:

Hubs: How's it going?
Me: When are you coming home for lunch?
Hubs: At lunch time
Me: When is that?
Hubs: When do you want that to be?
Me: The sooner you come home and give me a 10 minute break, more more likely your child is to be alive when you get here. :)
Hubs: I will be home in 10 minutes.
Me: Amen!

Yesterday morning, Henry was a gem before the Dr. appt, at the Dr. appt, and in Target to get meds and food. We got home around 10am and the monster that is my son unleashed himself in our house. He cried for his bink, he cried for milk and he cried for fish crackers, all of which I gave him. I gave him a small bowl of fish crackers, knowing they would spill and he proceeded to not only dump them on the ground but stomp on them, into a million pieces on the floor and carpet. Joy!

Then when I was changing his diaper, which was full of number 2, he stuck his hand in it, SMELLED it, and wiped it on his pants. At that point I thought, who is this child and why is he calling me Mama because last time I checked, my child does not touch his feces.

I took him down from the changing table, disinfected the child so he wouldn't be a mobile bio hazard, and he proceeded to go into the bathroom, splash in the toilet and lick his hands. At this point, super mom that I am, asked him what the eff he was doing? Yes, I swore and it felt great - judge me if you like because I didn't care at the time and I really don't care now (can you tell the day is still hanging on my last nerve?).

Hark! The garage door opens, Henry is in his highchair eating and is an GD ANGEL for Ryan. He is always an angel for Ryan - that is effed up. Ryan then takes Winston ,who ran around in the woods and got burrs all over his fur just before I got Henry in his highchair, over to PetSmart to get groomed. That is another story - damn dogs saw a freaking cat and then didn't have their fence collars on - bad owners! Now it is me, two dogs, and Henry. Henry then knows after lunch it's nap time. He runs, giggles, tries to weasel away from me but of course, this is not a democracy in my house, it's a dictatorship and I rule so I win. He cries for a minute and is out. But effing FedEx comes to the door, the dogs freak and he wakes up 30 minutes later. I proceed for the next 25 minutes to go into his room every 5 minutes and lay him back down in his crib while he screams and shrieks. He finally falls back asleep for another hour...or did he sleep because when I went in at 2:15 to check on him, he was playing in his crib wide awake. I had had enough and needed to get some work done so off to grandma's he went where he proceeded to be an angel and play with grandma and grandpa until Ryan picked him up after work.

So, I know most SAHM's probably do not have that kind of day but it was enough for me to be convinced I need to work at least part time if not full time. And I know that they adjust, like I did at first, but they are still my hero's and I will forever have more respect for them than anybody in any other position.

4 comments:

Bekah said...

I'm like you, I'd admire all the SAHMs, I know their life can't be all sitting around watching soaps and snacktimes. I know that when I get married and have kids I probably won't be doing it either. I don't know how my mom did it when I was a kid either. I was such a brat.

Sarah said...

hahahaha I laughed so much when reading this and it sounds so like me. Once I'm on my last nerve, I'm just done. done. done. Baylen was crying for like 2 hours non-stop tonight and I about lost it. I don't know if it's boys or what. seriously. brynn was never as hard as baylen has been. hope h. is feeling better. and that you never have a crazy day like that again. oh and the poop thing: yeah...bay does that al the time too...he sticks his hand down in his diaper when he has poop and sometimes he spreads it on the carpet. UGH!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh, Sam. I had to laugh because I swear this is a rendition of our EVERY weekend routine (minus the diaper thing; Tyler luckily doesn't like to be dirty). I want to swear. I want to scream, and he's a GD ANGEL for Justin. These boys are SOOOO alike.

I was thinking of doing a post as I feel like the most HORRIBLE parent these days. I tend to yell at Tyler way too much but the kid is seriously pushing every button I have and getting a laugh out of it. I don't know how I"ll make it to age 3 with him...and a baby on the way.

Good thing we love them so much and look into their smiling faces and realize we love them even more, or there would be a lot of "lost" kids out there :)

Cari said...

God I haven't laughed out loud like that in a long time, thank you Sam, for making me feel less guilty, just like Kati does too, thank you guys for sharing, I could never do the SAHM thing, even though sometimes I wish I could.