I have been in a holiday funk lately. My husband has even called me a scrooge this year. I have not felt the Christmas spirit....until today. I say better late than never! Part of it may be that I purchased Henry's gifts so long ago, or it seems so long ago that I am just waiting to give them to him. I can't wait for him to play with them, I just know he will love them because they involve standing, which is his favorite activity these days.
So, today Henry and I went to a group that I was part of earlier this year. It is a "new beginnings" group at the hospital that is for women suffering from post partum depression. I have never disclosed on this blog that I suffered from depression because I didn't want a pity party, which I don't think you all would have thrown me, but I didn't want anybody to feel bad for me. Now that I have made it to the other side, and can look back on my situation, I feel like I can talk about it and maybe it might help somebody else. Anyway, there are some great women at this group, from all different socioeconomical backgrounds. There is one woman in particular with two small children, a 2 year old and an 8 week old, who is a single parent, has made a few poor choices but continues to work very hard to support her children. Today she announced she is going back to school. This choice however, is preventing her from being able to afford Christmas gifts for her children. She said she struggled with this choice for weeks but in the end decided school was the best option because it would give her with the ability to provide Christmas for her children in the future. Wow, I cannot imagine a situation like this and I know there are hundreds of thousands of families like this who cannot afford Christmas. I am so blessed right now for my family and my career. It dawned on me that there are many things going on around me that I have no control over but here is a situation I can help out with. I decided to adopt her and her children for Christmas. Something in me says that I have to do this and honestly, this has renewed my Christmas spirit. Now I can't wait for Christmas!
3 comments:
{Hugs} Sam. I'm glad you are doing better! You're a great mom.
That is very nice of you to adopt them. She will be beyond happy and you will feel so awesome about helping her out. Way to go!
And, kudos to you for telling us about your post partum. We are always here to help you out and will NEVER judge you. As some know, I suffered from depression for several years post-ISU, before I met Justin (counselors, medicine, the whole nine yards) and I always give kudos to those who decide to get help. There is nothing wrong with getting help, in fact, it makes you a better person and mother! :)
That is so wonderful that you are going to help them out, that is what Christmas is all about!
Congratulations on making it past your PPD and having the strength of character to share your story.
Post a Comment