Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Still Snotty!

I took Henry to the Pediatrician yesterday morning for the following reasons:
  • He has a terrible cough - it rattles!
  • He has a very green and snotty nose
  • He is a little more irritable than normal
  • This has been going on for three weeks and has not gotten any better.

He has not had a fever, has not thrown up, has not lost his appetite, and has been sleeping fairly normal so I was not too worried but I felt bad for the kid - he is having a tough time breathing with his bink! I am also cautious to take him to the pediatrician for the following reasons:

  • I used to sell antibiotics so I am a big believer in appropriate use of them and I generally know the difference between a bacterial infection and a viral infection and was almost certain it was viral...but just in case, I took him.
  • Kids who are not sick and go to the Dr's office inevitably pick something up at the Dr.'s office that will make them sick (that always happens to me)

So, the verdict was he probably has had a series of viral infections causing the congestion in his nose which drains to his chest making his cough sound worse than it is which is uncomfortable causing the fussiness. That was what I figured but he has had three of the six kids in his class go home for fevers and ear infections. Thus far, we have had him in daycare for 4 months and he has yet to need antibiotics (knock on wood) so I can say I am happy for that!

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Your lucky. Tyler has been on them a multitude of times. And he's been subjected to anything and everything since he's been in daycare - Fifth Disease, RSV and other childhood gross things