Monday, January 12, 2009

New Year Pledge to myself and family

I thought about what I wanted for New Years resolutions. I never keep them so I heard somebody refer to them as New Years pledges. I tried to think of what I wanted to pledge for 2009 and everything I thought of were things I knew I wouldn't stick with except the one that is the most obvious and needs to be done. It is on every body's list and that is live healthier.

So I pledge in 2009 that I will live a healthier life by choosing to go to the gym and eating healthier food items so that my gym efforts are not wasted. I am 27 and I feel much older than that. My energy level is significantly lower than it should be and I have a difficult time getting motivated to do much outside of taking care of Henry and going to work which means my house gets put on the back burner and unfortunately so does Ryan. I have scheduled an actual babysitter, not the grandparents, once a month for the next few months so that Ryan and I can go out and spend time with adults as well as with each other without a child needing our constant attention.

In addition to living healthier for myself, I am choosing to do this for Henry. I think he deserves to have a mom that is energetic and can chase him around and be active with him. I don't want to just be a spectator in his life, I want to be an active participant and I know that me choosing to make better choices for my health will positively impact my ability to be a good parent. Plus, as he starts eating, I hope it will encourage him to make good choices in what he wants to eat and likes to eat.

I know this will be hard but since I am announcing it to the world, you all can hold me accountable and I will hold myself accountable for my choices. Our greatest power in life is the power to choose and I am choosing to make healthy choices regarding food and exercise so that I can be a positive role model for my family and be an active participant in my child's life.

3 comments:

Erin said...

sounds great sam, I agree with everything you said.... I think we're kind of the same boat.... I just exercized tonight (part of my resolution) hopefully it will go well...still have that nasty baby weight to lose!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

That's a nice pledge....kudos to you for doing that all. I miss working out but my NY pledge is to work out on the elliptical now that the toyroom is done; now, I just have to get Tyler to stay off it when I'm on it and not have him yell "down" the whole time!

Samantha said...

Well, my child goes to bed at 7:00 so I still have that luxury of working out after he is out...we'll see how to fit it in when he starts going to bed later!