Yesterday I met with my physician and spoke with her about the H1N1 vaccine. We talked extensively about my indecisiveness. Based on the comments from the other day, others are having the same internal debate I am having.
Well, in our discussion we talked about the differences between seasonal flu and H1N1, the one difference being that H1N1 is attacking younger, healthy individuals whereas the seasonal flu typically attacks people with weakened immune systems (weakened meaning, something is already plaguing them, like those who already have a cold or their immune system is compromised from disease). I had mentioned that I had heard it effects people just like the seasonal flu and signs and symptoms were the same. She agreed that is true, but just like anything, the flu effects people differently and again emphasized how H1N1 is making healthy young people it's host, unlike other viruses.
She told me about a man who was at St. Lukes, had no pre-existing conditions who just died from H1N1. He was 31.
She said she does not recommend the vaccine for everybody but definitely for those under the age of 40 and with children. Those who work with children, with the general public, and in the health care industry she felt should be vaccinated as well.
I cannot be responsible for others inability to stay home when they are ill and I don't want to get ill and pass it onto Henry so I took the mist. I wasn't too excited about the mist, since it is a weakened live virus but I feel fine. It's important to note that everybody reacts different to vaccines but my experience thus far has been positive. I have had no side effects and I feel good about my decision. As of now, the injection vaccination is not available at Henry's pediatrician's office in Hiawatha. (Erin, I will let you know if I hear of an office who has it). As for getting Henry vaccinated, I am fairly confident I will vaccinate him. Besides making certain he gets good sleep, eats well and washes his hands, it's my only other line of defense at daycare.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing that!... gives me more to think about. As far as I've heard we don't have it around us yet either but when Blake goes for his seasonal shot I will have a long convo w/ them about it too.
awesome!! I heard about the 31 one year old too...... My mom was at a conference the other day and it said the 70% of people who will get h1n1 are between 5 to 24.... it's hitting school hard right now.
I decided after talking to one of my best friends who is a nurse that both of my kids are now going to get it and so am I.
Post a Comment