Thursday, October 15, 2009

To get vaccinated? and a little PSA

I was just notified by an office in town that they have H1N1 vaccines in. I think that because I work for a pharmaceutical company, I get asked often my thoughts by the nurses and staff on my thoughts of the vaccine. I truly don't have a firm opinion at this point.

On one hand, I feel like it is my responsibility to vaccinate myself because I am in and out of clinics all day long, constantly potentially exposing myself to the virus. I also feel like I owe it to Henry to have him vaccinated because I can't count on other parents keeping their children home when they are sick and that would be his only line of defense against the virus at school.

On the other hand, is it effective? If the efficacy is only 20%, I don't see the point, but if the efficacy is >50%, then there is good reason to get vaccinated. Also, what are the long term effects of the vaccine? Nobody knows and obviously the fear of the unknown is preventing me from being so firm on my opinion.

So, what are your concerns if any? Why will you or why will you not choose to vaccinate your child? Will you choose to vaccinate yourself? I will be honest, the health care providers I speak with have already been vaccinated and plan to vaccinate their families, now the choice has been left up to me for my family.

On that note, here is my PSA:

If you are sick, STAY HOME! If your child is sick, KEEP THEM HOME! If you have to cough or sneeze, please do it into your elbow. If you must cough or sneeze in your hand, promptly wash them afterwards. How hard is it to wash your hands after you sneeze and before and after you eat?! I hear people talk about washing their hands as if it is the worst task they have to do in their day, I don't get it. Now is not the time to be lazy about this. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids - the flu loves cool, dry conditions. Also, getting enough sleep is important, so get plenty of it. By doing these things, you can help prevent the flu without the vaccination. The other two things you can do is make sure to disinfect surfaces you play at and eat on and stay away from public places as much as possible. People are germ infested and by staying away from them, you can't get their germs. It may not be fun but having the flu is worse!

5 comments:

Bekah said...

Washing hands is a chore? What the heck is wrong with people? I wash my hands a lot. And I keep no wash antibacterial soap in my car because I use some questionable restrooms and I'm shaking hands all day long. I'm debating about the H1N1 vaccine. I'm leaning toward getting it, I guess because we initially never know the long terms effects of any vaccine. For example the smallpox vaccine that most likely your parents and mine got (both my parents have scars on their upper arms), I highly doubt there was a ton of research done ahead of time, and yet now, it's pretty much been eliminated. I don't understand how they can get rid of smallpox, but not other illnesses.

Erin said...

my thoughts vaccinate your kids. I figure the American Academy of Pediatrics knows what they are doing......and my pet peeve is Jenny McCartney and the all the "vaccines cause autism" crap she spouts......

Erin said...

on a side note....who has the vaccine??? I am keeping my eyes open so I can get Katie vaccinated. thanks!!!

Sarah said...

As far as the H1N1 or Swine '09 as I often refer to it, I am STILL on the fence. There is so much we don't know about this vaccine. It scares me there is mercury in some doses. It scares me that it's a mist and it's the live virus. If I could get the kids to get it as a shot in their arm without mercury, I'd probably do it. I just don't know what to do. They have a double whammy with me working in a school and then being at daycare...argh. Our Ped. says YES do it. My friend at work her mom is a Dr. and she says YES do it. Many moms I talk to are saying NO to it. But I just don't know...

Unknown said...

I posed this question to my readers last week too... I 2nd exactly what Sarah said, it just makes me nervous so I haven't decided about H1N1... but we have always and will continue to get our annual flu shot.