Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Crazy Week

Last week was crazy. On Monday morning, I was trying to do a fetal kick count because the baby was not moving as much as I had been used to, and the baby did not move as much as it should have during the test. I began my day for work anyway and the more I thought about it, the more worried I became to I called the OB office who sent me over to the birth place center at St. Lukes. I kept repeating over and over in my mind the visit I had at the University of Iowa when they said stillbirth is something to be aware of because I had an elevated AFP test, especially in the third trimester. I began crying uncontrollably, and met Ryan at the hospital.

When I checked in, I tried to compose myself but ended sobbing to the front desk lady who immediately put me in a patient room and calmed my nerves. They hooked the monitor up to me and for 45 minutes got nothing! The nurse did her best to remain calm and tried a third time to get the baby to move and finally the little booger moved! I was elated, Ryan was relieved and the nurse was much more positive. I ended up getting orders to rest the entire day so I did just that.

On Thursday I had my regular appointment and ultrasound and while getting the ultrasound, the sonographer said she didn't get a chance to see the baby's diaphram move so the doctor would decide what extra tests, if any, would be done. He would tell me by the end of that night. I didn't hear from him so I assumed everything was fine...

9:30am on Friday, I received a call from the OB office wanting a non-stress test of the baby because my score on the ultrasound didn't add up. when I told them I could not get there for 2 hours, they were shocked. I headed up to St. Lukes and again was hooked up to the fetal monitor. Great news, the baby was super active and looked great! I agian though was told to take it easy and rest...not good for work!

I am happy to say this week is much better, no drama thus far unless you count the weather which is not cooperating. Lets just hope it gets better before the baby shower in CR this weekend!

No comments: