I am trying a new thing: Wednesday Weigh-in. I know there are more than 4 people who read my blog and I want to know what you are thinking. You can weigh in as anonymous if you like. I will make this disclaimer however, this is MY blog. Should you feel like being mean, condescending or hateful, make the choice not to comment because I will only end up deleting it if I feel you are being rude.
So, I have a few things I have been thinking about, both baby and non-baby related.
1. Henry is 11 months old (3.5 teeth) and still eats the majority of his food from a jar. Is this normal? My thought is, by eating from a jar, I am making certain he is eating enough and getting a protein, vegetable, and fruit, basically what I consider to be a balanced meal. Should I begin to make him food that we are eating, making sure to cut it up small and let him eat with his hands, and if not, when do I do this? Also, what kinds of meals should I make him if he is eating with us?
2. Monday, while I was working, I came out of an office to get into my car and noticed a man in the drivers seat of the car next to me and he looked like he was sleeping. The car was running, he had his seat leaned back and had his eyes closed. I got into my "super cool mom" van and just as I was pulling out, looked over and to see him drinking from a 40 wrapped in a paper bag. I deliberated on what to do. Should I say something to the man, like, "hey a-hole, not cool!"? Should I go back into the office and let the staff know there was a person drinking in his car, in their lot, at 10:15am on a Monday morning? Should I call the police station? Should I have ignored the situation and gone on my merry little way? You tell me what you would have done and I will share what I did tomorrow.
3. My birthday is March 8 (mark it down in your calendars :) and I have no idea what to ask for! What would you ask for?
9 comments:
1. Do you think Henry is ready for more table foods? Does he seem interested in them or wanting to try them? Baylen began refusing baby food and that helped us transition him easier into the table food thing. Also, daycare was helping with that transition as well. What are they feeding Henry at school? Perhaps they might be able to offer him a few things to try. Start with easy things, like butter toast--cut off the crusts and pull apart into 4 or 6 pieces. Brynn only had 2 teeth until she was 13-14 months old and gummed on table food for months and was fine. Try giving him peas, corn, green beans (frozen cooked up or fresh/cooked) and put a few down on his tray and see if he'll pick them up and eat them. Try waffles, pancakes, french toast, warm tortillas, little pieces of cheese, yogurt bites, soups like chili, chicken noodle, etc., arrowroot cookies (by Gerber). Try cutting up little pieces of pasta if you guys eat that, mashed or baked potatoes...and just see how he does. It is important to try giving him more table food but you'll be able to tell if he is ready or if you need to take it slow. Baylen was much slower to transition into table food than Brynn was...partly b/c he had A/R. You will see pretty early on if he's ready or if he's still a baby food guy for awhile. Also, if we are eating something Bay can't have, then I give him some of those little pasta pick-ups (in the baby food aisle made by Gerber--just stick them in micro for 30 seconds) and I cut them up into smaller pieces and he'll eat those. I have also given him those little toddler meals to try, but it was a bit too overwhelming for him...too much food at once. Good luck--I know it's always a tricky thing to know how to continue that healthy balance of food. The older he gets, the easier it will be to figure out what to feed him.
Hmmm as with the guy in the car, I would have definitely called the cops. I will be interested to hear what you decided to do.
Tiffany & Co. is always my favorite Bday gift request. :) They have a cool silver ring I received for a gift last year that's a thinner, silver ring and I love it. I believe it's part of the Return to Tiffany's collection. Also, they have cool charms for the T&C bracelet like "mom" and initials. So I have the "B" charm and also the "mom" charm hanging off my Return to Tiffany's bracelet. But you could ask for the mom charm for Mom's day...don't forget that holiday is coming up soon too..haha
1. The boys ate table food earlier than 11 months, but Olive did not. She was slower to transition to most things than the boys were so I just followed her lead. The week of her birthday I really pushed hard to switch her over from jarred food to table food. It's gone pretty well, but I sitll feel as though she definitely ate more when she was eating from a jar. She's really picky about her fruits where as before she'd eat anything. The only fruit I can get her to eat right now is bananas, which have pretty much always been her favorite anyway. It's frustrating. But our pediatrician has always told me not to look at what they eat over the course of the day but rather the week. So if she doesn't eat veggies for a few days but eats them other days that week, she'll be fine. And she most definitely eats with her hands. I just started putting a fork or spoon on her tray the other night just so she'll get used to it and she actually scooped up a few peas and ate them from the spoon. Or with the fork, I put a piece of cut up french toast on it the other night and handed it to her and she put it right into her mouth and ate it. It was definitely easier to figure out what to feed her when she was eating baby food, but now it's easier to go out for dinner. Of course this time period is what Kevin and I like to call "Mommy's year of chicken nuggets and fries." Because that's the only thing I knew the boys (and Olive now) would eat if we were out for dinner so that's all I usually order. But now that I can always count on Quinn to order that, I just take a piece from him and cut it up for Olive. She loves chicken, grilled or breaded so I'm usually safe there. She also likes hamburger or ground chicken and this girl LOVES sausage which I think is so strange. These are the things I know she'll eat with any consistency: pancakes, waffles, french toast, toast (sometimes I give them to her cut into strips and sometimes in pieces), grilled chicken, chicken nuggets, ground chicken, hamburger, pasta with butter and parm. cheese (we buy that Picolini line that has the mini shapes. Right now she lives the bowties and the wagon wheels. but also will eat elbow.) Peas, corn, carrots, yams, pizza (cut into tiny pieces), sausage (both breakfast and regular), cut up string cheese or slices of cheese cut into pieces, graham crackers, arrowroot cookies, shortbread cookies, Fig Newtons (both fig and raspberry) fruit and yogurt bars (I used to buy the Gerber cereal bars but the regular adult ones are cheaper and a bit bigger, she prefers the organic blueberry ones I buy.) Nilla wafers, Gerber puffs, macaroni and cheese, muffins, and oatmeal. There's probably more but that's all I can think of right now.
2. I'm not sure what I would have done about the guy in the car. I probably would have wanted to either call the police or go alert someone in the office building, however I'd probably be too chicken to actually do it. I mean, he knows what you car looks like and where you work so if the cops showed up, he'd have a pretty good idea who called them.
3. I'm really bad at coming up with things to ask for myself. While I love jewelry, I do not own a single thing from Tiffany's. I guess I'm too cheap! I love the mother's bracelet that Kevin got me for Valentine's Day last year and besides my wedding and engagement rings, it's probably my favorite piece of jewelry becuase it has the names of all my children on it as well as their birthstones.
Samantha Lynne, it is a kick in the buns to see your blog and the thoughts of your friends. Here are my comments:
1. You should give up birthday presents for Lent.
2. Baby Henry James should be able to eat whatever he wants since he will be able to do so at Grandma's.
3. The Grandpuppies do not remember who you are, but that is okay because they are SO CUTE.
4. My co-workers think you are nuts.
5. I love you and you are SUPER COOL, but can be a major pain in the buns.
1. It's up to you. I would start supplementing more and more table food over time so he's ready to wean after turning 1. You are his mom so you know best on what he should be eating. Tyler started eating mord more table food after he turned 1. Ask your doctor, if you really are worried, but I'm sure you're fine :)
2. I'd let it go. Nothing you could do. He'll screw up and ruin everything eventually. Now, if you saw him driving, I would call the police.
3. I want a Cricut, but probably won't get it. I'll be turning 30 on my birthday, I just want a party and I want my friends from Iowa to come to it. I never get to see anyone from Iowa anymore! If you don't have a mother's bracelet, ask for one of those. Paco's, which is a store here, does a great job and will ship it to you. Justin's mom has ordered a ton of stuff from there and had it sent to Cedar Falls. Tiffany's is always good. I have three or four things from there.
Hi Sam....My name is Amy and I am one of your mother's awesome co-workers (I am pretty sure I am her favorite). I often read your blog...it is my entertainment at work. Here are my thoughts on your Wednesday Weigh-In:
1. I am 25 and don't have any children yet, however, my cousin has two little ones that I spend quite a bit of time with. She has a little girl who is 18 months and has been eating table food for about 5 months or so. That is the extent of my knowledge on table food for infants.
2. If I were in your situation, I would have gone back into the office and advised them of the gentleman in the car and possibly discussed with them how to handle the situation from there. I am interested to see what you did.
3. As for your birthday, as a fellow scrap booker myself, I think you should ask for an afternoon or even a day off to relax and scrapbook. P.S- I am super jealous of your Cricut Expressions.
Your mom tells us that Henry will be here this weekend...we are trying to convince her to have Greg bring him in so we can call see him!
Can't wait to read more entries!
1. I pretty much agree completely with what Kati said. You should start offering him stuff but I wouldn't be worried about it yet.
2. I would have called the cops, no question about it. Even sitting in a parked running car drinking is a crime in most states (not sure about IA since I don't live there) and I don't think it takes a stretch of the imagination to guess this A-hole eventually drove while intoxicated. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers.
3. Spa day!
Sam..........BAM.
Don't you think I'm pretty cool? Well of course I am. Wait, this isn't about me!
Where am I anyway??
Seriously Henry's the Bomb!!!
The Grandpuppies are the Bomb!!
And Ryan is my favorite Son In Law.
And why didn't your Mother mention me?
I love you.
Grandpa (B.I.G.)
There I chimed in on anything goes Wednesday.
1. My son Aidan will be 11 months old this weekend. I've been feeding him table food for about a month now. Not for any particular reason other than that I just think it's easier (and cheaper) to feed him what we're eating. He has 5 teeth.
Good things to try: brown rice, toast (with sugar-free jam is always hit w/ Aidan), pancakes (sometimes I add blueberries or top with applesauce), scrambled egg yolk, small pieces of colby jack cheese, oatmeal.
All of these things are soft enough to gum, so Henry shouldn't have much trouble with them.
2. I would have been appalled, but probably wouldn't have done anything. I don't like confrontation.
3. I've been keeping a list of things I want since Christmas when I couldn't think of anything, but now there's tons of stuff I want:
*new workout shoes (or any shoes really)
*teeth whitening
*new coat
*a shopping spree :)
*new griddle
*anything at the spa
*someone to come in an deep clean my house
Those all might sound really girly, and I'm not sure what your tastes are, but just some ideas.
1. I think you're fine to give Henry some baby food. I agree, that it's easier b/c you know what he's eating and can be sure he's getting all of the right stuff. We feed Lydia mostly table food, but sometimes for breakfast or when we're eating something spicey, I still feed her baby food. The stage 3's are a good start to regular food. You'd really be surprised at what they can gum so just try to give him a little bit (if appropriate) of what you guys are eating.
2. I would have called the cops!
3. I agree... T&Co is always great, love it! Spa day would be fun too!!
Post a Comment