So, here is what happened this past Monday while I was working:
I came out to my car and saw a man in the car next to me who looked to be sleeping, however, he was not, he was drinking a 40 out of a paper bag in the driver seat of his vehicle. I have absolutely no tolerance for drunk driving, especially because I drive between 700-1200 miles per week.
All the thoughts that I listed went through my head and the actions I took were as follows: I went back into the office and informed the office manager of the situation. I was shocked when she laughed and said they were probably waiting for a patient that was being seen at the office. So, I then kindly asked, "well, if it is a patient they are waiting for and they are a patient of a provider in this office and something happens to that patient on their way home because the driver was drinking, and you knew what you now know about the driver, does that not make you partly at fault for the accident? Would you want that for your patient?" The office manager then called the police station who sent a police officer to the parking lot. I left just as the officer was entering the lot. I was shocked the office manager was going to just shrug it off before I put it into perspective for her. Why didn't she feel compelled to take action immediately? It just makes me wonder about some people...
5 comments:
Weighing in... I definitely think you did the right thing. Seriously, the dude must have had a major problem to be drinking a 40 in a doctor's office parking lot in the middle of a weekday. Hopefully he'll get some help and the office manager will be a little more responsible next time.
Ahh, so this wasn't your office building? Just a place you were stopping by for business purposes?
yes, I was just doing a sample check.
Sounds like it you did the right thing :)
Way to go Sam!
Post a Comment