Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sad today

I knew I would feel this way as our moving day gets closer. When I graduated from college and moved to Madison, WI my parents moved me, literally. I was away at training and they, with their friends, moved all my belongings to my apartment in Madison and when I came home, everything was put away and had a place. When I moved to Chicago, Ryan moved the majority of my belongings to Cedar Rapids and put it into storage and I moved just my clothing, bed, dresser and TV to Chicago. I shared an apartment with two other girls and when the sub-lease was up, I searched roommates.com for a place to live where I didn't need more than what I currently had because I knew I would end up in Cedar Rapids when it all was said and done. I was lucky and found Katie K. She was the best roommate I think I have ever had (well, Emily Wilcox was by far the best) but outside of Theta, Katie was awesome. I lived there for 7 months before I got the word that Abbott had decided to hire me. Ryan and I had already purchased a home in June but they couldn't move until September so we moved October 1.

That was over 4.5 years ago and we are now moving again. Moving didn't used to bother me because in college I had to move every single semester and find housing in the summer. I never got attached too much and truthfully after we moved into our home in CR, it was weird to stay in one spot for more than 1 year. Now, I feel sad to leave this home. I find that the older I get, the more sentimental I become. When my family moved from Brookview Dr. to their current home, I got up on a chair in my closet and just above the door in small writing I wrote in pencil, "this is Sam's room always". Well, I guess if I truly meant it, I should have written it in ink. Anyway, I feel like making my mark somewhere in this house but I already know our mark has been made in so many ways. I can see it in the yard and the landscaping. I can see it in the woodwork, the windows, the light fixtures. In the paint colors and the slight imperfections that only Ryan and I can see but to everyone else, there is no error. There are so many things we have done to this home that have made all the difference in it's appearance that the current and future owners will never know and probably won't appreciate.

And I think that is what makes me sad. I feel like a traitor or like I am letting my house down. That seems so crazy to think that way because a house doesn't have feelings but I have feelings for our home and all the great things that have happened in our life while we lived here. It was our first home, we were married while living in this home, we adopted Riley, Guinness, and Winston in this home, our best friends have visited us in this home, I was in serious labor in this home, Henry J was born in this home, and now we are packing up this home to move. So, I am sad today.

5 comments:

Mom Pasdiora said...

Samantha Lynne,
It is normal to go through the sadness of leaving your first "home", but the good memories will always remain and you will work to make your new home even better!! You will cry on the last day, but they will be tears of joy. The Grandpuppies are so excited about watching their DAD mow the humongous new yard and all the changes he will make in the landscaping. Baby Henry James cannot wait to find the bugs and wood creatures that will abound in the new yard (he is really excited about his new room!!). Be proud of what you have done, but be happy for the beautiful family that you have and the great home you picked together for greater adventures of the Lagenaux clan!! My best and we love you. MOM Pasdiora

Briana said...

I'm sorry you're sad Sam. It's so hard to leave your 1st home. We've been here almost 3 years now and I remember the last time I was in our condo (our 1st home) I walked from room to room making an imprint in my mind. I saved the nursery for last. I had brought two sons home from the hospital into that room and I felt a bit sad that they really wouldn't ever be old enough to remember that room because they were only 2 and 4 when we moved. But I have pictures and those will have to do. We became a family of 5 in our new house and we're slowly making it our own. It feels like home to me now, but I'll always remember our 1st as I'm sure you will!

Daddy (B.I.G.) said...

Sam,
When you were born in Atlanta we lived in a rented townhome. Then we bought our first home. Then we moved from Atlanta and moved to Illinois. Then we moved from Illinois to West Des Moines. We rented a home here until our home on Brookview was built. Then we moved again to our current home.
What I'm saying is since you were born (along with Tara) we have lived in 6 places.
Although it was sad to leave where we were living we knew it was for the best and we were making the right move.
The one thing that always was consistent was no matter where we lived it was "home". Coming "home" to you, your sister and Mother was always the best part of my week of traveling on the road.
You guys made our house a home.
The same thing will happen with your next home. You and Ryan have done wonderful things with your first home and no doubt will do the same and more with your next one. Many memories are waiting in the wings to be made. You can't measure the amount of fun Henry and the Grandpuppies are going to have!
Some think I am just a sentimental softy because I still enjoy driving by the house on Brookview. You will do the same with your first home I'm sure.
I am so very proud of you and Ryan and can't wait to see what you do with your new home.
We love you.
Daddy (B.I.G.)
Tell Ryan I can help him clean the garage!! :)

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh, Sam. Sorry you have to leave your house. I totally know how you feel, but your new house will love you and you'll love it and it will rock just like this one!

Sarah said...

I will do the same thing when we leave our house one day. I had a VERY difficult time leaving the house I grew up in for 17 yrs when my parents moved to the country into a brand new house. I felt betrayed and so saddened b/c of all the memories we shared there growing up. I still miss that house and refused for a long time to call my parent's house "my house."

Also: sunglasses: got them at Children's Place...they are like 2 for $5.00 and if you ask, they sell the "baby and toddler" sunglasses in a different section than the "big kids" sunglasses. You can kind of try them on his head/face even though you can't take them out of the plastic, you can get a pretty good idea if he'll need 0-2 yrs or 2-4 yrs size. Baylen has bent 2 pairs already but they're cheap so I don't worry too much. They also sell some cute sunhats there and awesome cargo shorts in like every color. :) lots of cool stuff for little toddler boys in there...go check it out (when you have time inbetween that big move of yours of course...) :)