Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Still employed

I work in a fairly unstable industry and I feel like the last year has been really hard for me. I don't know if it's because I now have somebody other than myself to take care of or the realization that there is so much more to life than work... it's a combination of both I am sure. Anyway, our company announced yesterday evening that they will be doing layoffs today and I am so lucky to say that I still have a job. I don't see my job being in existence in 5 years, mostly because of political reasons that I am not going to get into on this blog but this experience has made me aware of the fact that I need to explore other opportunities that may be in existence.

There were so many things going through my head this week and there are two people who come to mind: Ryan and Henry. I did not want to let these two men down. Truthfully, the biggest concern of mine was that I would have to pull Henry out of his school. I call it a school because it is exactly that, a school. He loves it there and I love that he loves it. They do so many things that I would never think to do with him and a lot of that is my lack of experience with young children. Sure, I would figure it out but I am not made to stay home, I am a working woman and really like that I have the ability to have a career and a family. The waiting list to get into the school is pushing 3 years at this point so you can see why I would hate to leave.

The other thought was obviously making it work with our new home, we would need another car, I have student loans, but THANK GOD we have no other debt! But still, it would be tight. The economy and job market is CR isn't exactly booming so it will take a long time to figure out what I want to do to grow my career but until then, I am so blessed and thankful to have the job I have today and will work my butt off to keep it for now.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Sam - I'm so glad to hear that things are a-ok for you and your jobbie job. It's soooo stressful these days! We have had MANY rounds of layoffs at Principal and after each one, I breathe a sigh of relief. Hopefully this economic mess will get better SOON!

Sarah said...

It is stressful. So glad to hear things are okay.

Sara Quillin said...

Glad to hear you still have a job!! Sounds like you are keeping your eyes open though, which is good! Most of our doctors tell us there won't be your job in a couple years. Better to be safe and keep you options open!!
I hope your house is coming along. I can't wait to see it. We are looking forward to the next playdate!!!

MrsNick said...

It is really frightening for everyone right now. I am really happy for you and just remember that even when things get bad there is good that will come out of it. You have people that love you and that is all that matters.