Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Pooch Update

Just yesterday we had Invisible Fence installed at our home. So far, training is going well. two of my three dogs hears the beeps and turn the other way, one dog is not phased, not even by the very light shock he gets so we will have to work more with him. This third dog is none other than Guinness, my very sweet, intelligent, and active pooch.

Guinness has a very special place in mine and Ryan's heart because he was officially our first dog. Ryan and I went to Petco where they were having the humane society show their dogs they currently had up for adoption, just to see if any of them might be a good fit. They had two puppies and one was Riley. Riley was the cutest puppy ever! He was rolly polly, very soft, and a snuggle bug. I fell in love. His litter mate looked nothing like him. In order to adopt Riley, we had to travel to the humane society to fill out the paper work. I hauled Ryan over that day. They said there were more from their litter available so we went to look at them. There were 5 other puppies there and the ugliest puppy of all was Guinness. I felt terrible for him and at the time, thought to myself that Riley was cute enough that he would have no problem getting adopted so I adopted Guinness. The humane society makes you wait 24 hours before you can take your adopted animal home just to make sure you want it. I waited and could not stop thinking about Riley and that we could also give him a good home. Ryan and I worked full time and Guinness would need a buddy. So, first thing the next day I called the humane society to ask if I could take Riley as well and they said that would be fine. I called Ryan and told him Guinness needed a buddy and asked what he would think if we adopted Guinness and Riley. He was not too thrilled but said yes and thank goodness he did because I had already adopted Riley. We brought them home and they have been our four-legged children with fur for the past 4+ years. Winston came one year later when I decided I wanted a lap dog. He is no lap dog and rules the house, all 13 lbs of him!

The past week we have noticed Guinness's ears have been really stinky so I took him in and he has a yeast infection in his ear. This is not the first time this has happened, he has had many and I am thinking it has effected his hearing because I don't think he hears the beeping at all and that is why he doesn't turn the other way when the collar goes off. Hopefully with the infection getting under control and his ears being washed out, he will be able to hear better and feel better. I can't imagine that is very comfortable. We will follow up with the vet in two weeks to see how his ears have cleared up if at all, until then, it's regular ear cleanings and medication for that pooch!

1 comment:

Grandpa (B.I.G.) said...

The Grandpuppies are the bomb!!
Callaway, Lexi, and Belevedere (especially Belevedere) really miss the Grandpuppies. Grandma and Grandpa miss them too. Bring them back to West Des Moines soon! Scooby Dooby Doo. (That rhymes)