Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Softest Dog in West Des Moines


Today my dog, Calloway, was put to sleep.  We got him when I was a senior in high school on Halloween.  A month earlier, our bassett hound, Sherlock Bonz had passed away and it just wasn't right not having a dog.  Calloway was shy at first but got over that very quickly.  We commonly referred to him as "mans best friend" or "The softest dog in west des moines".  He was very sweet, always available for a good hug, and loved to just be in the same room as you.  He was so loved and I believe he knew that.
My dad called me this afternoon to tell me they were putting him to sleep.  He had bad hips, this we knew, but we didn't know he had a massive tumor growing into his brain.  He was having a hard time balancing and the tumor grew into his mouth. 

I wish I would have made more of an effort to spend time with him this past weekend when I was home.  I wish I could be more certain that I gave him a big hug and told him I loved him.  I hate myself for not being able to remember.  He was definately my dad's dog, his favorite, his buddy.  He was very much a part of our family and will be missed.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

ohhh I am so sorry about your dog, Sam. :(

Briana said...

How sad, I'm so sorry Sam. It's so hard losing a pet because they are just so much more than just another animal, a true member of the family.

Megan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog Sam. They are TOTALLY a member of the family. I'm sure that he knew exactly how much you loved him! :(

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh Sam, I'm so sorry :( Losing a pet is so hard as they are just as big of a part of a family as a person. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him!

Bekah said...

Sam, I'm so sorry about your dog. :(