Sunday, July 6, 2008

Okoboji Weekend


This weekend we spent time at the lake in Okoboji. Ryan's family has had a cottage on Spirit Lake for over 50 years and we try to get there a couple times during the summer since it is a 4-5 hour drive and Henry does not necessarily travel well. We have a family vacation planned coming up at the end of the month where we will be there for 9 days but this short 3 day weekend was a teaser to our upcoming vacation.

Henry got to meet all of Ryan's family and I think there was just a bit too much stimulation for the little guy. He was fairly fussy the entire time we were there. We spent time by the water and while we were out and about, I did end up putting sunblock on him for a few hours because we were in an area with little shade and he didn't break out or anything. I made sure to wash it off right when we got home. He enjoyed the barefoot bar and scored a couple of outfits while we were there. I think keeping his bedtime routine the same while we were there helped. He slept really well at night but nap time was definitely a struggle. Anybody have a nap time routine that works well for their child? Henry will literally cry himself to exhaustion. He works himself up so much when he is tired during the day that it makes for a difficult time for me. Suggestions would be great.

I ended up getting a slight sunburn while we were there. I think I was so concerned about Henry, I forgot about myself. I hear that tends to happen once you have a baby.

4 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Since he didn't break out, I'm sure you're just fine to keep putting sunblock on him. Better to be safe than have a burnt, crying baby :) And be sure to offer him lots to drink while you are out in the sun as he will get dehyrdated a lot more quickly.

I'm useless when it comes to naps. We just lay Tyler down and he goes to sleep, always has. We just got lucky. What I've read said to keep naps like bed time (same routine). I doubt Henry has a set routine yet, really, so just try rocking him and see if that helps? Or put him in a really dark room (We have red curtains over Tyler's bedroom window to block the sunlight)

Briana said...

I can't seem to come up with anything good for Olive's nap routine either. She will go to sleep just fine but will wake up within an hour and she'll cat nap like that all day. Drives me nuts. She did take a 3 hour nap one day this weekend while we were away but it was because I napped with her!

Sarah said...

yeah I'm not one to say how to set a nap routine either esp when traveling. brynn and baylen tend to sleep in their strollers if we're out, or when they are just so tired they'll finally give up. Baylen has been a stinker since we've been in IA...he won't let me put him down after he nurses for bedtime. So my dad or mom rocks him and he'll fall asleep just fine. If you are trying to put him down after he has his "last nurse" for the night, have someone else like dad put him down or rock him to see if that helps. Baylen still has crazy fussy time too...like all out bawling/screaming sometimes. My sister-in-law sticks as close to a schedule as possible with her kids even when she's not at home. Her 4-month old eats every four hours no matter what. they just lay their kids down for naps and for bedtime awake and they do go to sleep. But, she's on bottles only now and formula only. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Erica said...

Hey Sam-
(This is Erica W). We kindof lucked out with Lilly for naps and traveling, but I think what has worked out the best for her is the solid routine. She wakes up around 8 am and then eats. She has both solid food and a bottle. Around 11-11:30 she takes a nap. I usually just need to rock her a bit or lay her down and run the mobile and she'll be out. Then she usually wakes up after an hour and a half and eats. We play for another couple or few hours and she is ready for her second nap of the day. After she wakes up we play for a bit and around 6 she is ready for dinner. We go for walks and play until around 8 when she gets her bedtime "snack" bottle and often falls asleep by the end of it. We did this at the lake too even though there were a TON of people around and that seemed to help. Since we had the set schedule we could work around it to play.

Obviously she is a few months older so there is a difference between her and your little guy, but we have done that schedule for quite a while. I didn't think we would ever get on one but since she has been on it it's been amazing. She knows when naptime is and usually doesnt fight it.