What do you mom's do out there to protect your babies from the sun? I have read that I shouldn't use sunscreen until Henry is at least 6mo. old and should put a long sleeve shirt on him but he gets so hot. I can keep him in the shade but what if there is no shade? I have a hat and swim trunks with SPF in them but I cannot find a shirt with SPF under 12 months old. Feedback would be great.
6 comments:
They make like these tent things you can buy to sit in or put baby under while it's sunny that you can sit on the ground/grass....I think Kati J. has one...Kati? They also make blow-up pools with shades on them. I bought one at Target for under 10 bucks.
I talked to my pediatrician about putting sunscreen on Baylen and he said it was okay to put it on him even though he was under 6 months old but that I had to try it on a spot of his skin first to make sure it didn't cause a rash or him to break out. So, you might want to call your ped. and see what he/she says.
I also bought him a shirt w/ SPF in it from Old Navy size 6-12 months to wear with his swim trunks. They also make them and sell them at Target and at Children's Place, Babies R Us, as well as Gap. Don't know what they have left in Iowa right now though...or if floods around your area have affected closing of stores, etc. Try checking online as well!
Finally, my parents have a pool and they bought him two floaties with sun screen shades over top to protect him from sun. I also bought him sunglasses from Children's Place b/c it was only store that had his size of glasses.
Yes, I have one. Not sure where it came from (it was Brett and Susie's first) but we used it at the lake where we were outside all the time. It's like a giant tent, only once side is cut out so you can sit their carriers in there and they are out of the sun (email me and I'll email a pic). We use it on the dock but also use it on the grass. Guessing BRU or Target has it.
On a side note, because we spend so much time at the lake, our doctor approved Tyler wearing sunscreen early. I got him the highest SPF (50-60) and he wears that - still does. It's made specifically for babies and I got it from Wal-Mart. Ask your doctor, I'm sure they'll approve it.
My biggest fear is that Tyler will get a sun burn. I want him to make the decision about getting skin cancer, not I (not that I want that but it's not my decision to be making), especially since my parents fried me as a child. Tyler always wears sunscreen, even at daycare, and a big hat. I also try to make him wear sunglasses.
I never put him in a long shirt or pants as everyone recommended because it's just too hot/humid. Tyler ran around in a onsie last year (well, since he was a baby, he didn't run per se). I pulled the roof down on the stroller and since I had a travel system, the roof of the car seat and the roof of the stroller met so I could block him from the sun. When he was in the front body carrier, I put a blanket around his legs and put him in a hat.
You can buy swim shirts at Target and other places. I sometimes put Tyler in one now just to keep the skin covered. It's breathable material so it works well.
Oh yeah, we also had a floaty boat last year with a roof and his wagon also has a roof that he uses now.
At Olive's 4 month appointment the pediatrician told us to keep her out of direct sun and not to use sunscreen on her just yet. SO when we go out she's always in the shade in her infant seat with the shade up. She has a big white floppy sunhat (among others, she has lots of hats!) that she wears now when it's sunny outside. The only thing she told us to be sure to use was bug spray. When the boys were little it was not recommended, but now with the West Nile Virus and EEE, it is recommended, just to try it out on a small spot first. I get around putting in on her skin directly by putting it all over her hat and carseat. Then I have one of those bug nets that fits over a stroller, but bunched up it fits perfectly on her carseat. We use that only if we're going to be sitting outside for a longer period of time, not just running from the house to the van, etc.
When we do start putting sunscreen on her it'll be the same one we use for the boys (Aveeno for Babies, it's SPF 55) I used something else with Logan but Quinn's skin only tolerates the Aveeno Baby one so I just use that on both boys so I only have to buy one kind and not carry two different bottles in each diaper bag (ours, the one for daycare, the one in the car with backup stuff in it.) The boys always have a swim shirt on when they are in the pool. I got them at Carter's. The boys love them, they think it makes them look like surfers! Olive hasn't wore her bathing suit yet, but I got a coverup to go over hers.
We asked our ped. about using sunscreen early on Blake (we live in AZ so you can't avoid the sun completely) and she said not to use it until he was 6 months and to keep him out of direct sunlight instead... so check with your pediatrician and she what he/she recommends.
Our Doctor said it was okay to put on sunscreen before Katie was 6 months and I put a hat on her. Old Navy does have some swim shirts and I believe Toys R Us/Babies R Us does also.
Post a Comment