We took some photos down by Mohawk landing which is an area to picnic down by the river. We took pictures of the shelter and the surrounding area.
This is our life. Chaotic, inconvenient, and a whole lotta mess but there's a whole lotta love in our family and we're gonna share it with you!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Roll up your pants!
If you have been hiding under a rock, you may not know about the flooding going on in the Midwest. In Cedar Rapids, where I live, the flood stage is considered to be at 12 ft. and the river is expected to be 24.5 ft. tomorrow. We live on higher ground but I suppose anything can happen. There are many areas devastated by the flooding including Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Coralville, and Iowa City. There are plenty of small towns effected by the flooding as well.
This flooding is called a 500 year flood because it supposedly only happens every 500 years. Anybody who lives or works in the flood zone has to be evacuated by 9:00pm tonight and cannot return until 5:00am tomorrow and that is only if it is accessible. This flooding has caused the American Cancer Society to cancel our Relay for Life. We were supposed to participate this weekend and we had a lot of fun at the event last year so it is too bad the event is canceled.
We took some photos down by Mohawk landing which is an area to picnic down by the river. We took pictures of the shelter and the surrounding area.

My good friend Leslie called from her basement in Omaha, NE and they are having terrible tornadoes and storms but apparently no flooding. She said the other day there was a tornado and no sirens went off. How scary is that? That is my worst fear. When I was in elementary school I used to be so afraid of the weather. I don't know what sparked this fear, but I would pick up books on the subject and became really interested in the weather, conquering my fear. I thought I would want to be a meteorologist "when I grew up" and this obviously didn't happen. Somewhere I have began to fear the weather again. I don't like the high winds we have been having, all this rain and severe weather really worries me. It was never this bad when I was a child. It was a record breaking winter with all the snow and now we have a record breaking summer with all the rain and flooding. I wish we could break a record for something good like days in a row that have sun and 70 degrees...I think I will send this request to mother nature.
We took some photos down by Mohawk landing which is an area to picnic down by the river. We took pictures of the shelter and the surrounding area.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sam,
I am feeling the exact same right now! Cedar Rapids is so crazy. The wind, storms, constant rain and the flooding is crazy!! I keep going to my basement to check to make sure everything is okay. I am also ready for some 70 and sunny!
Yikes! Severe weather freaks me out too. Which is why I moved back to New England. We get lots of snow, but it's nothing compared to tornados, flooding, etc. Stay safe!
(Your fears might have resurfaced because of your "Mama Bear" instinct! Mine got much worse after I had kids.)
I'm SOOO with you. We've had hurricane type winds that are so bad I'm afraid my house is going to blow over (and at 80 mph it quite possibly could) plus my biggest fear now (living in Tornado haven, they made Wizard of Oz for a reason people) is that the sirens will go off in the middle of the night, I won't hear or I won't get to Tyler down the hall quick enough. I've debated having him sleep in his pack n play during storms but someone I know says No. I think we might just take up sleeping in the basement, at least it's finished :)
Post a Comment