First, if you look up the meaning of Henry, you will find Henry is a German name (which doesn't mean squat to us) and the meaning of Henry is "ruler of the house" (again meaning nothing to us). Now that you know that, I will share how we came up with his name.
When we were thinking of boys names, we knew that he would have our last name and the middle name would be James. James is a family name for both of us. First it is Ryan's middle name and Ryan's father's middle name (which he goes by Jim). James is also my mother's father's name. With this in mind, the first name would have to flow with James Lagneaux. It was very hard to pick a boys name for both Ryan and I and we couldn't decide on anything for a long time. One of us would think of a name and the other would relate it to somebody they didn't care for so it would be crossed off the list immediately.
When I initially suggested Henry, Ryan said no. I had gotten the name Henry from a co-worker, who was only my co-worker for a very short time, and she had twins named Oliver and Henry. Henry was a name I had not heard very often and immediately was drawn to it. It was a name I thought he would be proud to have as a child and as an adult, a name that would command respect. Kings were named Henry and so from then on out, I kept throwing it in the mix as a suggestion and it grew on both Ryan and I more and more.
In the operating room, they asked us his name and we said Henry James. When we filled out his paperwork for his birth certificate and social security number we officially named him Henry James Pasdiora Lagneaux. He has two middle names, both have significant meanings and when he is old enough, I hope he will appreciate all the thought we put into giving him a name that he can be proud of.
Henry only minutes old
P.S. should Henry have been a girl, he would have been named Ada, named after my mother. His middle name would have been Nicole, named after the fact that when both Ryan and I were growing up, his best friend was named Nick and mine was Nicole.
3 comments:
I think he's got a great name!
I think it's a great name!! He will love it when he gets older :)
Post a Comment