Friday, March 28, 2008

And they shouted from the rooftop...

Great news, today when we arrived at the hospital the nurse let us know that Henry's platelet count was 167! That is within normal range not just for babies but for adults. I cannot express how much joy and anxiety this news relieves.

So, lets re-cap:
Temperature stabilized: Check
Antibiotics given: Check
Respiratory rate under control: Check
Jaundice cleared: Check
Aliammunethrombocytopenia number in range: Check

All medical goals set before Henry have been met. He will be allowed to come home with us tomorrow. We have my mom and dad visiting to give us an extra hand around the house and with the pooches. I have not seen the pooches since Friday night when I came to the hospital so I am excited to give them big hugs and kisses.

Today we are going to continue to work on breastfeeding - this has been a struggle for me. He likes one side better than the other and seems to feed more often from the breast vs. drinking breast milk from a bottle. Like I said in earlier posts, I think its more my problem of finding a comfortable position to feed in vs. him feeding well. The nurses and lactation consultants have been helpful so they have encouraged me to keep going.

We will also be giving Henry his bath today. We have witnessed two baths and are going to try to give him one ourselves. It should be fun. After today we are on our own so I hope this goes well.

This photo was taken of Henry when he finished eating. We thought it looked like he was doing the thinking man pose. We have noticed he is very expressive with his hands, always looking for something to hold onto.

4 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

CONGRATS Sam! So excited to hear your little man is doing excellent and is on his way home!

Don't stress too much about BF. If it doesn't work, you can always do the route I did for six months - BM from a bottle. It takes a little while for them to learn how to drink from a bottle. We actually fed Tyler through a syringe with a tube hanging out for about a week so he could learn how to suck and swallow. Good luck!

Us other moms are out here if you need some help - and we're only a phone call away too!

Briana said...

Great news!

Give yourself a chance to get used to BFing. It's not easy. I made it 8 months with Logan, but only 2 with Quinn (his tongue was too short and by the time it was longer he figured out that a bottle was easier) Olive is 9+ weeks now and I'm still going strong with her. Every baby is different. But you CAN do this! And don't hesitate to ask any other moms around, we're always willing to offer advice, but don't want to shove it down anyone's throat. You'll get into your routine better when you are settled in at home.

Anonymous said...

Sammie - I'm so happy that Henry gets to go home! You've been in my thoughts and prayers all week.

Enjoy your first days of family time at home!

-Robin

Anonymous said...

Yay Sam! I'm so happy for you all! Such great news! I'm only 10 weeks ahead of you, but if ya ever have questions I'm here too! :)

Take care!
-Megs