Friday, March 21, 2008

I thought I sprung a leak...but that was not the case.

At yesterday's appt, I went in for an ultrasound like I always do and the baby didn't want to do anything! Just sleep and be still so they sent me for a non-stress test (this would be my 4th). Before I headed over to the hospital for the test, I again had to endure the cervical check and I had not progressed any further than last week. How frustrating. I went on walks every night since the weather has been quite nice, I cleaned my house vigorously, I moved boxes and totes around, rearranging areas in the basement and I even tried sex a few times (mom, close your eyes) and it resulted in no change!

The non-stress test had good results and I was then asked to repeat the ultrasound again today and do another non-stress test for good measure. This was all to begin at 9:00am. This did not all go according to plan.

For the past week, our lovable pooch, Riley has decided to wake us up at least twice each night. Ryan generally gets up with him, lets him out and then goes back to bed. Riley has decided he wants to eat at 4:00am recently and it truly is annoying because if he is not fed, he whines. Last night was no exception. At around 3:30am Ryan let Riley out and then came back to bed and about 3:45am I felt fluid running down my legs. I jumped up, ran to the stairs, down the stairs and to the bathroom just in time to sit on the toilet - underwear still on mind you. I couldn't stop the leak, had no urge to pee but after 30 seconds it stopped. Ryan was wide awake by now and for good measure I called my mother who told me to call the birth care center just in case. They of course made me come in so Ryan and I put on on our coats and headed over. After another non-stress test (this was number 5), another cervical exam (the nurse was very nice but this was not her strong point), and a sample of fluid, it came down to the fact that I had indeed peed myself.

So, of course they had to call the Dr. on call who happens to be my physician and let him know I had in fact peed myself and that the non-stress test was good. Who knew you could pee yourself?! I had no control, no urge to pee, nothing, so I was a little embarrassed but we went home and I went back to bed. Since we had done the non-stress test so early, I did not have to go to the hospital at 9:00am, just my ultrasound at 10:30am.

I got out of bed to get ready for the Dr. appt, headed down stairs and did it again! I kid you not, I peed myself again! I had no urge to pee, no inkling I had to go to the bathroom, nothing! Well now I am beginning to think I am going crazy. Here I am 27 years old and can't tell when I have to go to the bathroom! Now I know that when you are 40 weeks pregnant, your bladder has very little room but to pee yourself twice in 5 hours? So, at my appt., I asked the ultrasound lady to let me know where the baby is positioned and sure enough, it's just hanging out directly on top of my bladder. I told her of my incontinence issue and made a joke that I will be stuffing a diaper down my pants until this baby is born because I obviously have special needs.

The good news is that the ultrasound looked great, baby scored all it's points and other than my inability to get to the bathroom, I am doing great as well. The Dr. decided I have been through enough, I am full term, the fluid surrounding the baby is high, my blood pressure is steadily creeping up, and the baby is of good size so he will be inducing me on Monday and we will get to have our Dr. deliver our baby!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe you waited until the last sentence to say you are being induced Monday. In less than 3 days, you'll be a mommy. I'm so happy for you, Sammie. Good luck with everything... you'll do great! -Robin