Thursday, March 6, 2008

Classes and more classes

This afternoon I have another OB appt. I am excited to find out a few things:

1. Am I dilated - 37 weeks and everyone else knows about their damn cervix but me! How frustrating.
2. They discussed the option of inducing me at the last appointment - well, what are they waiting for?
3. As always, we will have an ultrasound so seeing the baby will be an added bonus!

Not sure what will happen but those are my goals at this appointment.

Last night we attended another birth class - our third in three days! We had a safety class on Monday and they scared the crap out of both of us with SIDS. That just scares me and makes me heartbroken at the same time. We will be doing all measures possible to make certain it doesn't happen. Then we have been taking a birth class through Mercy hospital because the birth classes at St. Lukes were taken up and with all the nasty weather many of the classes were cancelled, so we wanted to make sure we got into a labor and comfort skills course. Anyway, I signed up for the St. Luke's class as well just in case their process was different. Not much was different, we watched a birth on video and I couldn't take it. I was grossed out - I do not need a visual just the basics would be good. Anyway, Ryan made me laugh because after that class, we had a discussion that went something like this:

Ryan: Sam, I just want to let you know, in case you go into labor and I am at work...
Sam: You want to make sure I can get through to you so what other numbers can I call?
Ryan: No, you can call my cell phone. I want you to know that just in case you go into labor and it is because your water broke, I want you to say over that phone, "my bag of waters just ruptured".
Sam: Are you serious?
Ryan: Yes (huge smile).

You should know, Ryan is having a great time with all this new found knowledge he has about the birthing process and I am so glad he has taken an interest, he just thinks of some of the weirdest things!

Anyway, we had a class last night to explain what may happen after the birth in the first 9-12 months and how to adjust to a new baby - Ryan didn't think this class was fun and it was a little boring but basically the gist we got was that we will lose sleep, we will have to balance time differently and our world will change - well, we didn't need a class to tell us this, we are well aware.

So, only one more class this Saturday - baby basics and then we are ready to officially have a baby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Samantha Lynne, you are a hoot! I cannot decide if I want the grandchild to be "funny/wierd" like you or like Ryan???? Great thing you have going here. Pictures were great!! Mom Pasdiora