Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bringing Henry Home

Yesterday we were able to leave the hospital, but before we left, Henry had to undergo a hearing test. The nurse wheeled in this large machine and put patches on his head and back and little muffs on his ears. He looked pretty ridiculous but it was cool to see them test his hearing none the less. He passed in both ears which means he can hear.This is our new ride. Cool huh? Haha. It is my new company vehicle that we picked up the day before. It has a lot more room to travel with the baby and the pooches. I had to give up my 300 for this bad boy but so far Ryan likes driving it better than my other company vehicles so that is plus. Anything to get him to drive sounds good to me.

When we arrived home, Henry had his first meltdown. Ryan was so calm and I was a basket case. When we were in the hospital, we would spend all day with Henry and he hardly cried so when he was fussy and screaming, it was a shock to my system and I had no idea how to handle it. To be honest, I have anxiety about this whole maternity leave. I have no idea what to do with Henry during the day and I have a hard time sleeping during the day too...maybe this will just come when I am completely exhausted. Last night was our first full night with him and he woke up three times to eat. I feel like he is not as satisfied when I breast feed him like he is when I pump and feed him. It is a frustrating feeling to not know what to do. I try reading to him but truth is I am so concentrated on just getting him fed without him sleeping through it that I can't yet concentrate on two tasks. I just want to make sure I am doing what I am supposed to be doing with him. He sleeps so much and today we had to wake him to eat and then he went back to sleep. It makes me wonder if he will be up all night because of his current sleep patterns or if that is just a normal baby thing.

One thing Henry does when he sleeps is makes all sorts of faces. He is a very active sleeper so this is my favorite face he makes and I'd like to think it means he is happy and content in our home.


5 comments:

Briana said...

I thought the same thing about Olive when I first brought her home, that she wasn't as "full" when I BF, but was from a pumped bottle. And she was really sleepy at first too so I had to go that route and pump then feed. But she figured it out and now has hardly any bottles (Just when I need a break!) It'll come with time. Just do what you feel is right at any given time and adjust accordingly as you see fit.

So cute smiling in his sleep. Olive giggles when she's sleeping.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Don't worry Sam! Take it all in stride and relax. Henry will not remember any of this when he gets older - and that's probably good as no new parent knows what to do. It's totally trial and error.

Do what makes him - and you happy. Feed him when he's hungry, change his diapers and let him sleep. He'll think you're the best mommy in the world.

And babies will have meltdowns - typically between 5-7 p.m. (great time, huh?) - so no worries there. Just remember to take a deep breath, and if you have to, walk away for a minute and then come back to him. Crying won't hurt him. Also, the tears are your hormones being out of wack (that will occur for a few weeks, just be sure you don't get postpartum and if you do, no worries, just be sure to seek some help)

And follow Briana's advice on BF. It truly will work out - and if you have to pump exclusively, no worries there. He's still getting the nutrients that he needs.

Relax. You and Ryan will be perfect parents. It takes a week or so to get into a routine and then longer to get it set in place.

I'm glad he's home. And the new ride is kickin, hahaha (we got a Highlander when we expanded)

Anonymous said...

I am feeling a great need to "Grandma Blog". Both sets of grandparents, Carol and Jim and AJ and Gregg, are SO in love with our new grandbaby - a first on both sides!!! He is so adorable and I just want to hold him all of the time, although I am sharing. We were there within an hour and a half after Henry was born and AJ and I tag teamed on holding him all day long. Unfortunately, that night Henry went into the Nicu and the cuddling was limited. My job, so far, besides the encouragement and reassurance, is taking lots of pictures, surprise!!! AJ is staying part of this first week and then I will be on call for whatever the kids need. I know there will be lots of babysitting. I already have April 9th on my calendar so that Ryan and Sam can celebrate their anniversary. I am looking forward to cuddling with Henry J as much as possible. When we were over at the house on the first day, Guiness took over as protector immediately. As I held Henry J, Guiness laid his head on my lap too. Any noise from Henry got a lot of attention from Guiness. I know that Henry will have a buddy for life. :) On Wednesday Henry's great grandma will get to meet him. She can't wait! Henry is also the first great grandchild.
I can't tell you how moving it is to see my first born having his own baby. Ryan has just been the most attentive husband and involved daddy. We are very proud of both Sam and Ryan.

Unknown said...

Hope the BF'ing is going well for you! Sounds like your Mommy's Group is great support. I went to a BF'ing group every week until Blake was a year old and he "graduated" (aka that is the cut-off age). I am also good friends with the IBCLC that ran the group and thanks to her I know quite a bit of stuff so if you have any questions let me know and I'll be glad to answer or find out for you.

I nursed Blake exclusively (and now that he's 13 months I am still nursing morning and night only) so hang in there, it can be done! Never doubt your body's ability to provide for your baby!

Unknown said...

Oh, and I suppose if you do have questions/concerns about breastfeeding it might help to know how to contact me huh?

cmyer3368@hotmail.com
or I'm on MySpace (search under Crystal Donahue)

Good luck, and if this is really important to you (like it sounds like) then you can make it work. One way to help you hang in there is not to keep any formula in the house, that way if you have a weak moment (and we all do at some point) you have to actually drive to the store and give yourself time to think if that is what you really wanna do instead of just getting a bottle ready!

Like I said, Blake has made it this far and has never had a drop of formula. It's not easy and at times I wanted to give up (coincidently right around growth spurts, ha go figure!) but keep goign to the support classes it will really help.

I'm extemely pro-bf'ing as you may have been able to pick up on (but have nothing against those that don't) so if you ever need a cheerleader or sympathetic ear I'm here!