Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Henry Update

Well, on Friday, I headed to the hospital at 9:45pm and was having contractions about 5 minutes apart. They monitored me for 2 hours and there was no change in my cervix but I had contractions 3 minutes apart so I chose to go home. At home I tried everything for comfort but within an hour I was back at the birth care center and I had dilated to 6cm... The pain associated with this was unbearable and I cannot begin to describe what it was like. By the time I was in my room (30 minutes later) I was dilated to 8cm and by the time the anaesthesiologist came to my room (20 minutes later) I was at 10cm. Luckily she gave me a spinal block which lasted an hour and a half and when it wore off, I was shaking uncontrollably for 2 hours while I pushed and the baby was not descending. I was begging, pleading for someone to put me out of my misery. They could not give me pain medication because it could have an effect on Henry. I was carted off to surgery where it took them 5 attempts to get the epidural in me but truly, I was in so much pain, I could not feel it. In less than 10 minutes later Henry James Lagneaux was born via C-section.
It is so crazy to think that less than 48 hours ago we were two people awaiting the birth of our baby and now he is part of our lives and so wonderful. It really is a feeling like no other.



Henry is currently in the NICU because his blood work indications that there is inflammation currently in his body and they are unsure of where it is. He is doing well but is having a difficult time feeding and other than that is doing well. I can't wait to take him home.


2 comments:

Erin said...

Sam, I am so happy for you and Ryan. Glad Henry is doing well. Kate was in the NICU for a week after she was born (she had pneumonia) Although being in the NICU wasn't the most fun place we enjoyed the extra "teaching" moments from the nurses.

Hope all is well... enjoy this wonderful moment.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

YEAHHHH!! I am so happy for the two of you. Looks like Ryan is already a pro at holding little Henry :)

I'm sure he'll be out of the NICU in no time. Can't wait to see a pic of the whole family.

And I know exactly that pain you felt!! I was at 7 by the time I knew anything was going on and I instantly had back pain that was uncontrollable!!! Luckily, they let me still get an epidural even though I was so far along. I, too, begged them to just kill me. I kept yelling out "I'm gonna die!" Somehow they say you forget about that - it's been a year, it's still pretty darn vivid as will yours, but once you take him home and love him up, you'll soon want another.

Can't wait to meet the little man! Congrats to you (and to your parents who I know are beaming as well!)