Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Happy birthday to Guinness and Riley

No baby yet. I am getting calls all the time asking about it's arrival. The only good quality sleep I have gotten is from about 5:30am to 7:00am when Ryan gets up with the dogs and I have the room all to myself (just so you know, the dogs sleep in their own beds but they are early morning risers). I know my extra sleep will be over when the baby arrives so I am taking full advantage now.

Yesterday we celebrated Guinness and Riley's 3rd birthday. They were born on St. Patrick's day and we adopted them from the humane society. We were going into Petco because I wanted to see all the dogs that people bring in - I was really pressuring Ryan for a dog at that time. It just so happened the humane society had a couple dogs there, one being Riley. He was a butterball and so very cute. I had to have him so we went to the humane society and looked at his brothers. None of them looked like Riley, they all looked like Guinness. Guinness was so little and not the cutest of pups so I thought he was who I should adopt because Riley was by far the most adorable puppy and he would definitely be adopted. The humane society has you fill out paperwork and call back the next day to confirm you still want to adopt the animal. Well overnight I couldn't help but think that Guinness would need a playmate, it would help with separation anxiety and I couldn't get out of my head just how cute Riley was. That next day when I said I would pick Guinness up, I asked if I could adopt Riley as well and they said he was still available. It was a sign to me that he was meant to be mine! I also believe that if I could provide a good home to another dog, I would do just that.

I was not too sure how Ryan would react to my decision but he took it like a champ. He remembers having a dog when he was younger but he hadn't been around too many dogs since then so it would be an adjustment. To this day, the dogs love him more. He is so good with them. Every morning they get up, he feeds them and then they have "snuggle time" on the floor for 15 minutes where they crawl all over him and he scratches their ears and their belly's. Same routine in the evening. We added Winston to the mix a year and a half later and he fits in perfectly.

We have traditionally taken the dogs to daycare on their birthday's but this year we will just take them on their normal day, Friday. They will have a birthday party with the other dogs at daycare and we will get pictures of them in their birthday hat! I know we are crazy dog owners, we spoil them to no end but I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

This made me laugh but it's so you Sam :)

You're doing awesome keeping this updated. I'm impressed!