Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Our Birth Plan

Last night we attended what may be our last prenatal birth class. It was reviewing comfort skills for labor. We have already attended a comfort skills class at the other hospital and I have to say, this class was much more interactive, gave a lot of good suggestions and Ryan and I walked away feeling like we had a better idea of the things we wanted out of our birth experience.

They showed a video which was almost exactly like the video from the other hospital and the men and women were separated to brainstorm our needs during the labor process. The men basically said they would make every attempt to make us comfortable and what we need, they will provide. The women had a laundry list of their needs which at first started as things like, massage, using the birthing ball, etc. but really what we want is understanding through the labor process, support, and for them to take charge and suggest things that may make us more comfortable and be our eyes, ears, and voice when something may need to be done. This made Ryan and I more aware that we needed to draw up a birth plan for the nursing staff and Dr. and would give us an outlet to communicate to each other our wants and needs of the labor process.

The idea of a birth plan at first was not something I thought we would create. I guess we just thought we would go to the hospital and lay it out for them, answer questions as they were asked, and it would all work out. Let me just say we are fully aware that the birth plan is a guide, not something that is set in stone and we know every labor is different. It was very beneficial for Ryan and I to create one because we were able to discuss what is important to each of us and then when we arrive at the hospital and everything seems chaotic, all our "wants" are in one document and hopefully this will make the communication process between us and our nurse more concise. Our main hope is that should the right moment present itself and it coincides with the birth plan then that will be great and if not then maybe the next item on the list can be met. Our only option is to be flexible so that is the overall plan.

A couple of things I learned from making this plan was that Ryan and I have different views on pain management. We watched a video yesterday on epidurals and he truly would like us to try and have as natural of a birth as possible. Truthfully, I know this is an experience for the both of us but I didn't think he would have much of a preference in terms of pain management. So, based on this information, we have decided to use as little pain medication as possible but we both agreed if it gets to the point that I truly feel I want medication, we will have it administered. I think it's exciting and scary at the same time that we are going to limit the pain medication, and I know people will think we are crazy but that is our final decision. Just ask me after the birth and I will let you know how we plan to manage pain for the next child!

Have happy birthing thoughts for us, only a few days left!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I was so anti-epidural before I had Kate. I had looked in to many different pain management techniques: being in water, the birthing ball, etc. I had talked to my doctor before hand about how I didn't want an epidural either. After several hours of painful labor I went for the epidural. I was at 4 cm forever, and wasn't progressing and getting extremely frusturated. When I received the epidural at 6:30 I moved along so quickly and Kate was born at 9:26. The epidural helped me relax and moved things along more quickly. I think it's great to just go into labor with an open mind because so many things change. Let me tell you, if you make it through without an epidural you will be my personal hero :)