Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Puppies in the nursery

We have baby class tonight, there are seriously 5 couples in the class all due on May 1st. Which brings me to my due date that could not come soon enough! I feel like I have been pregnant forever and I laugh when people tell me it has gone by so fast because like anything, when it isn't happening to them, of course it goes by quickly.

Anyway, our dogs have discovered the nursery. I am of the opinion that I want them to get a sense of the room and items in it because they need to know they are for the baby and not for the pooches. The picture to the left is of my Ginny Mouse (Guinness) hanging out in the baby room. He just got up when I came in the room. It is not uncommon to walk by the room and Guinness will be sleeping in the middle of the floor. He will be the dog that is most curious with the baby.

Poor Winston has had to test everything out for us. He is all of 13 pounds, has tried out the bouncer, the swing, the crib, the pack n' Play and the rocking chair. He hates them all, we are lucky he didn't pee in them from fright. I think Winston will be interested at first, and the crying thing might scare him for a few days but then he will care less. Riley, my snuggle bug, will hide in the basement for days before he tries to get to know the baby. He was so scared of Winston when we brought him home. Riley is 83 lbs and Winston was 3.2 lbs., it was too fun trying to get Riley to befriend the new puppy let alone a little baby. My parents will be here for a couple of days following the birth and that will be nice because we will have extra hands for the baby and extra hands to love the puppies.

I have a hard time thinking I could love my dogs any less than I do now. I always get those forwards, "you know your a parent when..." and one of them is always, "your dog becomes just a dog". I would like to think the kind of love you feel for a baby is a different sort of love you feel for a pet. Ryan and I know we are obsessed with our dogs, we even have a scrapbook for them. I am of the mindset I have enough love to go around and nobody will convince me of anything different.

Here are pictures of my other pooches Riley (left) and Winston (Right). How could anyone not love them? They have been so much fun to raise these past three years and I really hope they enjoy the new edition to our family. I know it will take some adjustment but they are going to do so well, I just know it!

No comments: