My Grandma (mom's mom) is very sick. She is currently in hospice right now and I guess all I can ask is that if you have a moment, it would be great if you could keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
My Grandma was a funny lady, even though I don't think she thought of herself as funny. I swear she knew everything going on in her family all the way to her 4th cousins family. She just had a knack for keeping in touch with people and finding out what was going on in every one's life. She was a nurse for most of her career which came in handy later in life with my Grandpa became ill with colon cancer. She had seven children and worked very hard to provide for her family. She was also the type of person who would give you everything she had if it meant your life would be better.
You know how you always have a certain thing you remember about a person, I will always remember that my Grandma wore dentures for most of my life - probably longer than my life. Anyway, my Grandma had a great laugh, the kind that came from her belly and her whole body would shake. The only thing was, she would always keep her mouth closed when she laughed because her teeth would fall out. As I became older, I would try to get her to laugh so hard she couldn't keep her teeth in because then she would laugh even harder if they fell out and she was just so much fun laugh with! The last time I got to see my Grandma was when I was in high school (9 years ago). I invited her to visit us for an extended period of time. We took her to a tea room in some town, and had lunch. I got her laughing so hard her teeth fell into her drink several times and then we would laugh even harder and she couldn't get them back in because we would just start laughing again.
That seems like such a long time ago. So many things have happened since then that she was unable to be a part of due to her health. My graduation from college, my wedding, and now I will have a baby. Ryan has never had the joy of meeting her - she would have loved him and I just know he would have really enjoyed talking to her! She has really only been able to experience these parts of my life through pictures.
Anyway, regardless of how hard of a life she lived, I would like to think that she feels it has been a full life, full of so many wonderful memories and more importantly, full of those who care about her and love her. At this time she is not totally coherent but wherever her mind may be, it sounds selfish, but I hope she knows how much I love her.
1 comment:
Oh Sam, I'm so sorry about your grandma. I'll pray for her!
(And the stories you told about her blog are priceless - you should share with your mom if she doenn't read this)
Tell your mom I'm thinking of her too
Post a Comment