
Henry turned one month on Tuesday. I cannot believe how quickly yet slowly the time has gone. See, when we discovered we were pregnant last July, we were excited and scared out of our minds at the same time. I knew that our lives would change forever but not sure how much and in what ways they would change. Henry was not a planned baby in the sense that we were actively trying to become pregnant, we were having fun practicing thinking it would be another 6 months to a year before we tried to have kids. Anyway, we were blessed with Henry and looking back on this past month one thing comes to mind: Being a mom is hard.
I never thought it would be easy to have a baby and raise it but I didn't imagine it to be this exhausting either. Babies are so sweet and Henry is no exception, he is a good baby but sometimes the little horns appear and I can't figure out what he needs. Last night he ate, no joke, for three hours! I BF him, we gave him 2 oz of formula, he then ate another 3 oz BM in a bottle, burped (and spit up an ounce, at least), and then I BF him again and he fell asleep. In the middle of all this eating, he was crying and squirming about and would not be content in his swing or bouncer. We were at our wits end, just going crazy. I feel so bad for Ryan because he comes home and it's Henry's fussy period so he ends up seeing Henry only when he crys and eats, that would be discouraging in my mind. It's a good thing Ryan has the patience of a saint!
Anyway, this time has gone by fast, I am in my 5th week of maternity leave and it seems like yesterday Henry was born. On the other hand, during the day, the morning flys by and the afternoon is so slow - I think that is because I wait for Ryan to come home and give me a hand. I know that sounds bad, like I want to pawn him off, I don't mean it in that way. Most who know me, know I am very independent and it's been an adjustment for me to have someone constantly need me and be at their beck and call and on their schedule. I am adjusting and getting more used to it but I still have a ways to go. It's just nice to have someones help at the end of the day is all I am saying.
So, being a mom is hard but I love having Henry. Everyday he becomes more aware of things around him. He has started looking at my eyes more vs. my hairline and notices certain items like the zebra on his bouncer. It's cool to see him developing. The developmental stage I look forward to is sleeping through the night (I know that isn't a stage but I will consider it a milestone when it happens)!
I never thought it would be easy to have a baby and raise it but I didn't imagine it to be this exhausting either. Babies are so sweet and Henry is no exception, he is a good baby but sometimes the little horns appear and I can't figure out what he needs. Last night he ate, no joke, for three hours! I BF him, we gave him 2 oz of formula, he then ate another 3 oz BM in a bottle, burped (and spit up an ounce, at least), and then I BF him again and he fell asleep. In the middle of all this eating, he was crying and squirming about and would not be content in his swing or bouncer. We were at our wits end, just going crazy. I feel so bad for Ryan because he comes home and it's Henry's fussy period so he ends up seeing Henry only when he crys and eats, that would be discouraging in my mind. It's a good thing Ryan has the patience of a saint!
Anyway, this time has gone by fast, I am in my 5th week of maternity leave and it seems like yesterday Henry was born. On the other hand, during the day, the morning flys by and the afternoon is so slow - I think that is because I wait for Ryan to come home and give me a hand. I know that sounds bad, like I want to pawn him off, I don't mean it in that way. Most who know me, know I am very independent and it's been an adjustment for me to have someone constantly need me and be at their beck and call and on their schedule. I am adjusting and getting more used to it but I still have a ways to go. It's just nice to have someones help at the end of the day is all I am saying.
So, being a mom is hard but I love having Henry. Everyday he becomes more aware of things around him. He has started looking at my eyes more vs. my hairline and notices certain items like the zebra on his bouncer. It's cool to see him developing. The developmental stage I look forward to is sleeping through the night (I know that isn't a stage but I will consider it a milestone when it happens)!
7 comments:
Amen, sister...it's the hardest damn job in the world but worth it in so many ways.
P.S. did you try giving him some Mylicon drops (gas drops) ? He might have had a little tummy ache or gas and often times those drops can do wonders! (just a thought)
Have you talked to his pediatrician about his fussy times maybe being colic? If he's eating for that long and spitting up a lot he might be over feeding.
sam you got hilites...why was i not informed?
love,
your sister
Sam, you're doing a great job. Just think, it truly does get somewhat easier the bigger they get. You made it this far, the rest is going to be a blast!
Yup, being a mom is not for wimps! You're doing great! Olive has her fussy period in the evening too. I'm hoping she outgrows it soon, it's getting kind of old! I hope that now that it's wamrer out and we're outside in the evenings, the fresh air will help sooth her.
Sammie - Love the new hair. Congrats to you all on making it through the first month! Hopefully you can look forward to a little more sleep soon...
Robs
Post a Comment