Yesterday morning a nurse stopped by the house to do a home visit with Henry. He checked out great, and I was embarrassed that I hadn't given him a bath since Friday but I wasn't sure how that all worked with his circumcision which was done Friday night. Henry was 7 lbs, 1 oz. He seems so small. She gave me a few tips on how to position myself more comfortably while breastfeeding.
When she left, my mom and I put Henry in his car seat and headed to the "mommy and me" class at the hospital. Henry was the youngest baby there but was alert during the entire class. He got hungry during the class so it's a good thing I packed some milk because there was no way I could be discreet with breastfeeding in public, not yet. There were women there who were feeding their kids and you would never know - I need to find out their secret. On the way home he was crabby, cried about being in his car seat and then wanted to eat again. I feel like a milk station.
One thing I noticed yesterday was that he was awake more after feedings. Up until yesterday he would wake up, eat, change his diaper, and fall back asleep. Yesterday he was alert after eating for a while which was great until 10:00 at night when he was fussy and would eat then not want to eat but didn't want to sleep and would fuss and repeat the cycle. Finally my mom got up and fed him pumped milk from a bottle because I was so frustrated. He ate really well from me round one, I gave him a small amount from a bottle round two, and wouldn't eat round three, and then ate 2.5oz from a bottle round four. Then, he only woke once last night at 3:30 until 6:45 this morning. Not bad but I haven't figured out how to nap yet so I need to get that down at some point.
We ended up bathing Henry last night and he was a champ. I fed him for about 5 minutes to curb his hunger and then we bathed him and he didn't fuss but once. Ryan held him up while I scrubbed him down. We tried it in the kitchen but I think we'll have to move it to the bathroom because the counter was too high for me to be comfortable while scrubbing so we'll try again tomorrow night in another location.
So, this morning I am exhausted from yesterday, but my mom is still visiting and helping so that is great. I have a doctors appointment this morning for a blood pressure check and then we'll see what the day brings.
3 comments:
I've gotta kick this cold and get up to CR to hold this lil guy! :-\
Don't stress about the little things :) Do you have a counter tub? You can sponge bath him in that until his cord falls off. It's probably easiest to use it on the bathroom counter if you have enough room. If not, just use it on the kitchen table. He isn't going anywhere :)
And babies don't need bath's everyday; it will dry out their skin. Just do it every other day or two. He's not getting dirty laying around :) Lotion him up, he'll love the massage and you'll enjoy the relaxation time!
I couldn't sleep during the day either. You'll get to the point where you either learn to live with no sleep or you pass out from exhaustion :) Enjoy your mom helping out - cooking, cleaning, etc.
Don't worry about not being able to BF in public. I'm on child #3 and I've NEVER BF in public, ever! It's just not something I'm comfortable with. And I too feel like a "milk station", but I always call myself the cow. Though I feel like camel most times too because I'm drinking so much water.
We give Olive a bath every night because it helps establish her night time routine. But because we don't want to dry out her skin, we only soap her down every other night. And we have always changed the kids' diaper then fed then so that they could fall asleep while feeding and it made lying them down much easier. I think I'd be afraid to change their diaper after the feeding because they would not fall back to sleep for us.
Post a Comment