Today I had a doctors appointment to check my blood pressure. I have never had high blood pressure but during my pregnancy it began to creep up at the end of January towards the end of my pregnancy. This is not all that uncommon but a little concerning to me because I used to sell hypertensive medication and I have always had low blood pressure (112/70). Sometimes having all this random knowledge is not a good thing.
Anyway, my blood pressure during my checks with the follow-up nurse in the hospital went well, I was at my pre-pregnancy blood pressure but today in the office it was elevated to 130/88. Without getting too technical, the top number is how much pressure is required to pump blood through the heart and the bottom number is how much effort is required for the heart to fill with blood. Anything below 120/80 is desirable so when one number is elevated, it raises the question as to whether medication should be administered. When the nurse told me my blood pressure, I am not sure if the pregnancy hormones got to me or what but I began crying and I think I weirded her out. I would hope since she is an OB nurse she would understand and see that I just had a baby 10 days ago but I could not control myself. I did not have to be put on medication so that made me very happy, I go back in 16 days for my post-op exam and they will again check my blood pressure so I hope that it was just my "post pregnancy anxiety" that caused the number to be elevated. If it doesn't go down, I will be making life style modifications stat (lets be honest, I should be making them at this moment but what am I doing?...eating a piece of pie)!
Anyway, this leads me to my next ramble session. What is it about post pregnancy hormones that make you want to cry at everything? Just talking about it makes me choked up half the time. I attended another support group today, this one for breastfeeding. It was supposed to be only 45 minutes long but we were there for an hour and a half and the other women there were so encouraging. Which leads me to a quick side note, I really appreciate all the helpful comments everyone has left me, keep them coming, I need the encouragement so thank you! Back to the support groups - they are something I think I will be looking forward to each week and the women there were great. This Saturday is "Mommy, Daddy, and Me" and we will meet more new parents and I think that will be comforting for both Ryan and I.
I will get back to posting pics tomorrow, my brain has not been in camera mode!
2 comments:
I hear you on the hormones being all out of whack! Mine still are and Olive is 10 weeks old now. I cried the other night while watching Jerry Maquire! Seriously, I'm a sobbing mess. I even get teary when Olvie smiles! What's that about?
So, it's perfectly normal. I'm sure the nurse understood that. I think getting out to all these groups will help you, as you said before you were not sure what you were going to do with yourself during your maternity leave.
I suppose the hormones thing has to do with the fact that a living being was in your body for so long. I think you get attached to it and when it's gone, you're body just freaks. That's me speaking as a non-doctor :) hahaha. It will get better. You're emotions will return to normal, no worries. Just go with the flow - and everyone totally understands and most of all an OB nurse!
Just keep plugging away. From your posts you're doing a wonderful job so just keep it up.
I'm envious of these groups you're in! Lucky you. Keep reaching out and meeting new people. I haven't really met any new moms in my journey thus far. I keep doing activities - Kindermusik, swimming lessons - but never anyone I connect with. Those relationships will be wonderful for you now and in the future!
Post a Comment